Friday, April 15, 2011

Sushi

Life is about trying new things right?  That's what I tell my kids (especially come dinner time) so I thought I would practice what i preach.  There was a terrific sale on sashimi grade tuna this week and since Mike, Savanah and I all love sushi ... wait, for Savanah and I it's more like LOVE sushi ... I thought I would try my hand at making it.  I realize it takes a true sushi chef years and years (10 according to my husband) to profect the art so i'm cutting myself some slack on how mine came out.  No laughing!


I seasoned the rice with dashi, etc and fanned it and the whole nine yards ... pretty, shiny rice but dang is it sticky!  It just takes one time of forgetting to dip your fingers in the water to figure that out.


Mmmmmm spicey tuna.  Note to self, if I ever attempt this again I would scoot the ingredients towards the middle some so it would be prettier and more centered when sliced, i would come closer to the edge with the rice and i'd invest in the bambo rolling mat.  Otherwise I thought it was fun and tasted great!


I made an inside out roll as well but ate it before taking pictures.  Hey, it's a perk of being the one making the food right?




So over all i'm glad i tried it.  It was a nice project to try while the kids napped, but (like so many other meals) it is still better when someone else makes it for you.

1 comment:

lynna said...

So jealous! I miss our cooking extravaganzas and this looks delicious! I have a beautiful sushi cookbook somewhere that I will look for if you will make sushi again with me! I've used rice wine vinegar and salt and sugar in my rice, but am not familiar with dashi. And, what is in your spicy sauce? Can I just say, "YUM"!