Thursday, November 20, 2008

Prematurity Awareness Month

Hi everyone. This month is prematurity awareness month. A subject that really hits home with all of us that write and read this blog. How appropriate that Olivia and I were invited to come back to visit the NICU during such a month. It was our pleasure to spend an hour with a former "roomie" speaking to other mothers who are going through now what we went through the beginning of this year. On the way home it dawned on me that I don't talk too much about Olivia's first 4 months anymore. Why? ........ That's a good question. The best answer I can give is ... because I still get emotional thinking/talking about it. It was such and intensely scary time for me (us). Part of me wants to put it all in the past and pretend it never happened. Unfortunately these Moms I met today (as well as thousands across the US every day) can't put it behind them because it is their NOW. They are there, at the hospital, bed (isolette) side, right now. Most probably haven't eaten dinner and all of them are worried sick. Those are dark times. I was hoping that I could appeal to everyone reading to take a minute and say a quick prayer or think a positive thought for all of the families going through what we did. We are so fortunate and I attribute so many of our blessings to the many, many thoughts and prayers that you sent on Olivia's behalf. I know they work! In particular I would like to mention Chance and his Mother. He is a tough 23 weeker with a strong Mom and supportive Grandmother. I mentioned a former "roomie". It is hard to explain the atmosphere of a NICU. People are very absorbed in their own situations and in the begining you hardly even notice other people coming and going, even in close quarters. As time goes by and if you are fortunate enough to stay in the same room (they move the babies all over the place with out notice) you may come to know another family. That is how I met Dekova and her sweet baby Desi. If I had to leave I always knew she would keep and ear and an eye out for O and vice versa. This was the first time I had seen either of them since getting out of the hospital. It was a great visit. The girls are both so big now. Here are some pictures of my Mom trying to hold both big girls. They are a hand (lap) full.

2 comments:

lynna said...

our love goes out to all of the families. reading your post brings tears to my eyes ~ i occasionally chance a brief look at O's early pictures and allow myself to think back to those early days ~ but it is still a pretty intense experience. November, with Thanksgiving, is a perfect time to think of all the little premie peanuts and to be grateful for how strong and wonderful Olivia is!

Desi's mom said...

It was so lovely seeing you guys as well. The girls are just growing so fast now! That would be great a get together but def keeping the girls in. Wouldn't you know it after our little outing guess who got a cold ...Yep. But she so hyper and happy she can crawl and get into things she forgot she got the cold but I didn't. We are headed out of town for the holiday but she will be on lock down once we get there. Happy Holidays and just let me know we def like to do drinks!!:)